top of page

Frequently Asked Questions for Tenants


These are some of our Martin Housing Development (MHD) tenant FAQs.  If you continue to have questions after reading this please feel free to call our contact us on our "CONTACT US” page/link homepage or via phone at (336) 303-1372, during business hours, Monday-Friday 9 am – 5 pm.


Q: When is Rent due?

A: Your rent is ALWAYS due on the 1st day of the month.  Your rent is late as of midnight on the 1st, but we give you a grace period until the 5th.  If your rent is not received by 5:00 pm on the 5th day of the month your account be charged a late fee of up to 5% (unless your property – lease has a flat fee of $15.00 designated in your lease agreement).  This late fee amount is due with rent payment.


Q: How do I pay rent?
A: Cash is NOT ACCEPTED, for security reasons.

ACCESS THE ONLINE PAY RENT PORTAL!  You should have received an email and within your lease agreement instruction on “how to make online payments”, please remember to check your junk/spam mail folder if you have not received it. You can also Email us at, for these instructions.  Please include your name, rental address, and contact number.

  • Electronic Payment (PayPal) - We accept electronic payments through our website; select “PAY RENT” complete the PAY RENT form  in its entirety - SUBMIT,  an then click "PAY RENT" button through PayPal.  Note:  There is a convenience charge that will be the Renters' responsibility to pay should you choose this electronic payment option (your rental payment is the amount per you lease agreement).




  • Electronic Payment (SQUARE) - We accept ACH/credit  electronic payments through SQUARE. Rental invoices will be sent to the email address provided within your rental lease.  Upon receipt of this invoice you can pay through SQUARE by ACH/credit card.  Note:  There is a convenience charge that will be the Renters' responsibility to pay should you choose the electronic payment option (your rental payment is the amount per your lease agreement)

  • Bank of America (BOA) Deposit Card – A BOA deposit may be issued to you at the signing of your lease agreement with a designated personal identification number (PIN) assigned to you.  You can deposit rent payments with the BOA deposit card provided to you, by the due dates.  You can only make deposits at any Bank of America (BOA) ATM with the BOA deposit card. See attach Rental Payment sheet for more details.

  • You can mail/drop off your rent to our office (@ 2005 Boulevard Street Unit# E Greensboro, North Carolina 27407) during normal business hours, 9 am-5 pm, if no one is available you may place through the mail slot, by the due date and put your name and address/unit # on the memo of your money order or check. All checks or money orders must be made payable to Martin Housing Development, LLC. A fee of the $45.00 will be accessed for all return checks.  All mailed checks/money orders must be postmarked prior to the due date and drop off payments delivered by the due date or late fees will be accessed accordingly to your lease agreement.


Q: What happens if I don’t pay my rent?
A: You should notify us IMMEDIATELY by calling our office at (336) 303-1372 and email us at  Failure to communicate with our office can and will typically cause you to be forwarded to the attorney’s office for an Unlawful Detainer.


Q: How do I report a repair, which needs to be done in the property?
A: All Maintenance Requests” to Martin Housing Development (MHD) properties should be done via our website Maintenance Request form at – Maintenance Request; complete the form in its entirety. Although we prefer maintenance requests to be submitted online/web requests (which will be given priority), you may also submit a request by emailing us at If you have an after-hours emergency, you may call our Martin Housing Development (MDH) after-hours support contact number @ (336) 303-1372.  This number is for
PROPERTY THREATENING EMERGENCIES ONLY, not regular maintenance calls. Please call MHD rather than a repairing a maintenance problem yourself, except for specific circumstances provided by law you will not be allowed to deduct the cost of repair from your rent.  If there is a problem, which was caused by you or your guests, such as an inappropriate item flushed down you will be charged for the repair.


Q: What is considered an Emergency?
A: An emergency is defined as a maintenance problem that will cause a safety hazard to residents, or imminent damage to property that cannot wait until the next business day.  A few examples would be an overflowing toilet, a broken pipe, or a sudden electrical short. If there is a gas leak, call the gas company in your area first, and if there is a power outage, call the electric company in your area first to see if there is a general power outage in the area (links to gas, electric, and water company websites can be found below or online).  The operator on the hotline will determine if you have a true emergency, and if so, the operator will contact the MDH staff member on call, who will contact an emergency vendor.


Duke Energy:   800-777-9898

Piedmont Natural Gas:   800-752-7504

City of Greensboro Water Resources:   336-373-CITY (2489)

Q: Will Martin Housing Development (MHD) notify me when a repair person is coming to my home?
A: MDH will give you a 24-hour notice to enter (based on your availability identified on the Maintenance Request form given; by, email, and/or a phone call), unless you agree to allow MHD’s vendor to enter your home on an as-available basis.  There is no requirement for you to be present, but you provide access to your home, with proper notice, for purposes of repairs. 
There is no requirement for MHD to give you notice if there is a suspected emergency, such as a burst pipe.


Q: When I moved out, how can I get my security deposit back?  Can I use my security deposit from my last month's rent?
A: Security deposits are not to be used instead of payment of rent, since the purpose of a security deposit is to pay for any damage caused by the tenant or their guest.  If you do not pay any rent, including the last month and you are in the unit, you will subject to eviction proceedings.  You are entitled to an accounting of your security deposit as well as the appropriate refund, within 30 days of your moving out of the unit.


Q: Can’t get into my unit, I lost my keys, what should?
A: You can call a locksmith at your own expense or  you can contact/email the office during business hours to pick up a spare at an extra charge.


Q: My roommate wants to move out, but I want to stay, what should I do?
A: This is a quite common situation and there are 2 ways to address it. 1) You can replace your current roommate with a new one:  This new roommate will need to fill out a complete application, send in their most recent month of paystubs and 2 forms of ID to be screened.  In the case, they are approved a change is made. 2) You want to keep the unit by yourself:  You will need to send in your most recent month of pay stubs showing that you can afford that unit by yourself.  If approved, then your roommate will be removed from the lease.  In both cases, the security deposit is handled between the roommates as the office won’t release any deposit unless all move out.


Q: My neighbor plays loud music late at night, what do you suggest?
A: As a first step, if your neighbor is violating House Rules, we always suggest first talking to your neighbor in a friendly tone of voice.  For instance, you want to let him/her know that they may be unaware of the fact that it is late at night, their music can be heard in your unit, and is preventing you from sleeping.  If you have already tried this, and the behavior continues, please inform MHD – MHD will contact the neighbor.  If the behavior continues even after MHD has made a direct request to your neighbor, please inform MHD, and further steps may need to be taken.  If there is a loud party late at night and you have no choice, by all means, contact the Police Department.


Q: I want to change the color of the paint in my unit and make other changes, may I do this?
A: As part of the lease agreement, renovations made by a tenant are only permissible with written approval by MHD.  You may, of course, hang paintings of your choice on the wall, provided you repair the holes upon vacating the unit.  This rule against renovations without permission applies to all renovations, including changing your flooring, installation of built-in appliances, etc.  Please do not affix a satellite dish or other antenna to the roof, without acquiring permission first, as you will be charged for any damages to the roofing.

Q: I would like to have a part at the building.  May I use the pool are? Or common areas?

A: Any guests you invite should remain in your unit, and not congregate in common areas, not limited to including pool (if applicable) or parking area.  They should not be loitering anywhere around the building, and House Rules should be observed regarding noise.  If your guest damages your unit in any way, you will be held responsible.  If your building has a security gate or door, you may not prop it open to allow guests to enter, as this compromises the security of other residents.  Garage or yards sales, which typically cause obstruction of walkways, debris, and generally cause a nuisance, are not permitted.


Q: Someone parked in my designate park space (if applicable), what do I do?

A: Leave a kind note to your neighbor/or vehicle letting them know.  If the car is not moved within an allowable time, then contact/email the MDH office during business hours for help.


Q: Someone broke into my unit or car, what steps should I take?

A: First, contact the Police and make a police report; Second, call the MHD office and report any damage the building and/or unit so it can be fixed, provide a copy of the police report to the office; Third, call your renters’ insurance policy and file your claim.


Q: Can I get a pet?

A: Most of our properties are not pet friendly so your first step will be to contact/email, the MHD office and find out if the property is pet friendly.  The office will inform you right away if this is possible or not.

Q: I want to add an additional person to the lease, what do I do?

A: You should contact/email the MHD office and the new occupant will need to fill out an application and send in 2 forms of ID and their most recent month of pay stubs once approved then they will be added to the lease.


Q: I want to break the lease, what do I do?

A: It’s a 6-month or one-year lease (per your rental agreement) you are responsible for the duration of the lease.  Your first step is to inform the MHD office; we’ll start advertising your unit to try to get a suitable replacement.  Once we find a tenant you will be responsible for the rent of the unit until the date the new tenant moves in and of the entire administrative fee incurred in the rental of the unit.

bottom of page